Translators of the World Unite ...


Home

Professional profile

Qualifications

Areas of Specialisation

Computer-assisted translation (CAT)

Examples of translations

Interpreting (IT<>EN)

Rates
Contact

--o--

English
Italiano

Translations from Italian into English - History of architecture

Vicenza Interiors - Palazzo Chiericati


Fin dalla meta' di novembre del 1550 Girolamo Chiericati va raccogliendo nello slargo "dell'Isola" (attuale Piazza Matteotti) materiali per edificarvi un nuovo palazzo al posto di due modeste case, esistenti sul lato occidentale. Ha gia' saldato al Palladio ventiquattro scudi d'oro per i disegni della pianta e della facciata, preparati "molti mesi innanzi": cosi', nel febbraio 1551, stipula accordi con il "maestro muraro" Zuane da Venezia, il quale, ottenutosi dalla citta', il 19 marzo, il permesso di edificare "un portico lungo la fazada," comincia subito, il 31 dello stesso mese, a demolire "due case vecchie dove va il principio della nuova."

Trattasi, in effetti, dell'ala meridionale del futuro palazzo: dove, nelle cantine, leggesi incisa la data 1552. Poiche' dal 24 settembre di tale anno non sappiamo piu' di pagamenti al Palladio come assistente ai lavori, - pagamenti iniziati, per quanto ci consta, il 10 giugno 1551 - vien da pensare ormai allora definita l'impostazione architettonica della parte eseguita. D'altronde, il 15 ottobre 1552 si danno acconti per la sua copertura, mentre, dal 1552 al 1554, gli scultori Alvise da Venezia e Marcantonio, nipote del Palladio, lavoreranno agli intagli del fregio dorico. Alla morte di Gerolamo Chiericati, nel 1557, prosegue il figlio Valerio, che, nel 1570, passa anzi ad abitare nella fabbrica teste' compiuta. Fiducioso, destinera' al proseguimento del palazzo un lascito testamentario, al 1579, di ben quattrocento ducati annui: inutile provvidenza, visto che l'impresa presto si interrompe, sia, e' presumibile, per sopraggiunte difficolta' non calcolate di natura economica, sia per mutate condizioni di gusto e di cultura, nell'allentarsi fatale dell'eroica tensione che aveva animato la stagione solare del classicismo vicentino.

In mid-November 1550, Girolamo Chiericati began gathering materials in the wide space called the 'Isola' (now Piazza Matteotti) to build a new palazzo on the site of the modest houses he owned on the western side. He had already paid Palladio twenty-four gold scudi for the drawings of the building and the facade which had been prepared "many months beforehand." Then, in February 1551, he stipulated an agreement with the master builder, Zuane da Venezia, who, having obtained permission to erect "a portico along the facade" from the city authorities on 19th March, immediately began on the 31st of the same month to demolish two old houses where the new building was to be constructed.

This was in fact the south wing of the future building, where we find the date 1552 inscribed on one of the cellar walls. As from 24th September of that year there is no further mention of any payments to Andrea Palladio for his assistance in this work - payments which had begun as far as we know on 10th June 1551 - it is feasible that by this date the architectural layout had been defined for the completed part. However, on 15th October 1552 advance payments were made for work on the roof, while from 1552 to 1554 the sculptors Alvise da Venezia and Marcantonio (one of Palladio's nephews) worked on the engraving of the Doric frieze. When Girolamo Chiericati died in 1557, his son Valerio continued work on the building and in 1570 took up residence there. In his last will and testament (dated 1579) Valerio bequeathed the considerable sum of four hundred ducats per year so that the work on the building might be continued. This turned out to be a futile gesture as all projects were soon to cease. This was presumably due both to unforeseen financial straits and also to changing cultural trends and taste, with the advent of a fatal weakening of that 'heroic enthusiasm' which had animated the solar age of classicism in Vicenza.

'Vicenza Interiors'. A guide to the palatial homes of Vicenza, with texts by Franco Barbieri.
Published by F&T Book, Vicenza (1991).





URL: http://www.italian-translator.eu